GPS + GSM

• hi, is possible to connect GPS module and GSM at the same time?

• @richardmike4 Hi Richard,

Some modules use the same GPIO - in this case only one module can be actively used at a time.

The GPS and SIM modules use the same GPIO - the GPS continually sends data - so at least for the time being it should not be used in the stack at the same time as GSM module.

0_1524065521512_M5Stack GSM and GPS boards - GPIOs used.jpg

• @jimit 在 GPS + GSM 中说:

@richardmike4 Hi Richard,

Some modules use the same GPIO - in this case only one module can be actively used at a time.

It would be a good idea to add some jumpers on such modules to select the communication pins.
    There is plenty of space on the board for that purpose.

For example, GPS & GSM modules, apart from the fact that they cannot be used at the same time, are completely unusable on M5Stack with psRAM on which pins 16&17 are used to access psRAM.

• Thnx, i think it´s possible to use an arduino for gps (serial) and communicate this by i2C to the m5stack, what do you think?

• Default the GPS and GSM modules are partially disconnected from the M5Stack bus.
    You must bridge the contact areas for connection.
    0_1524226964012_1524065523536-m5stack-gsm-and-gps-boards-gpios-used.jpg
    The GSM module has not alternatives for connection. It uses GPIO16 and 17 for UART and GPIO5 for reset.
    The GPS module has alternative connections. 16&17 or 1&3 or 5&13 for UART. If you d'not need a PPS-signal, you can not bridge it at all.
    BUT.
    GPIO 1&3 is used USB-UART (CP2104).
    I d'not know how to use GPIO 5&13 like a UART. This is not a typical application for ESP32.

• You can use hardwareSerial to assign (ex)Serial1 and Serial2 to different pin's then use Serial1 and Serial2 to communicate with the GSM and GPS

HardwareSerial Serial1;
    Serial1.begin(unsigned long baud, uint32_t config=SERIAL_8N1, int8_t rxPin=x, int8_t txPin=y, bool invert=false);

Just an ideea...