Mod to programmatically disable speaker whine/hiss.

• Re: Noise on speaker

Hi all,

I've been working on porting the Teensy Audio Library to M5Stack to allow full (& easy) audio synthesis.

0_1539790993131_IMG_0656-2.JPG

However the background whine/hiss from the speaker when no audio is being played is very annoying (and quite loud on my M5Stack).

My suggested modification in this case is to put a wire from Pin 1 of the speaker amplifer to GPIO5.

0_1539790903732_IMG_0655-2.JPG

Then it's just a simple case of digitalWrite(5, HIGH); to turn on the amplifier, and digitalWrite(5, LOW); to turn off the amplifier.

There seems to be a 30-100ms delay for the amplifier to turn on, and very little delay for it to turn off so I sadly can't get my audio library to automatically turn the amplifier on/off because I would miss the beginning of any new audio playback.

So I've just attached the amplifier control to BtnA for manual control so I can at least turn off the noise.

Good luck to anyone else attempting this mod! :)

• @macaba I will have to look into this! Do you plan on sharing any of your work porting the audio libraries from the Teensy over to the M5Stack / ESP32?

• Yep! It'll be going on GitHub at some point.

It won't be compatible with the the original audio objects from the Teensy library;

1. I've moved over to float datatype for audio samples (it makes certain audio algorithms so much easier) so I've been slowly porting across the objects when I use them.
    2. I've added some functionality that lets you get more detailed CPU reporting.

You can see my handy 'Amp on/off' control now:
    0_1539868916364_adaacef8-3324-46f7-a94e-ae38e249f3e7-image.png

• @cbrightly https://github.com/macaba/ESP32AudioLibrary

Initial commit of ESP32/M5Stack audio library done. Not that many objects yet, I'll be adding more as time allows.

• Hello, I just flashed it and it works. Thankx :-)
    Do you use a software sigma-delta-DAC or the internal 8 Bit DAC?
    Probably you can add a second example which shows a little bit of the sound qualities of the lib.

• You can mute the speaker very easy from code.
    Just call
    dacWrite (25,0);

• @Calin Hold your ear on the "mute" speaker. There is still noise with your code.

THX for the hardware mod suggestion.

• Hello,
    Maybe you can port this teensy dalek voice sketch to m5stack
    Thank you in advance.

https://pastebin.com/dYf49wp5

• @macaba Nice. I was trying all the way to avoid noise on speaker and none of luck. Then trying using this method and it's works! Thanks

• It is probably better not to connect PIN 1 of the NS4148 but pin 3 the buck converter EA3036 to pin 5 since otherwise you have a bigger power consumption. You could also remove R23 in that case.