Core2 does not start after replacing CORE2 cover

• I have been making and using programs with the CORE2 cover off of my Core2 controller, so I can access the GPIO pins. Now when I replaced the CORE2 cover I cannot power on/start my Core 2 controller. Each time that I remove the CORE2 cover, again I can power on the controller. Every time I put the cover back on it wont power on.
    How do I overcome this please??

• Hello @Kombistack

more information needed.

• with the CORE2 cover removed, how is M5Core2 powered? Battery or USB?
    • with the CORE2 cover replaced, how is M5Core2 powered? Battery or USB?

Thanks
    Felix

• Hi
    Both times I am using battery

• Hello @Kombistack

ok, good, so it's not a flat battery. What exactly do you mean by CORE2 cover? I assume you mean the small board labelled CORE2 holding the microphone and IMU chip, yes? When you replace it, do you have the grey plastic cover (which holds the battery) installed as well? I ask because w/o it I guess it is possible to mis-align the CORE2 board. Also have you pushed in the CORE2 board enough? I could imagine that with only some pins making contact wired things (like not booting) could happen.

Thanks
    Felix

• Hi Felix,
    Yes by ‘cover’ I do mean the small board labelled CORE2 holding the microphone and IMU chip. I have pressed this cover fully in so I don’t think it’s a problem with pins not making good contact
    I haven’t disassembled the Core 2 any more than removing this cover so I haven’t accessed the battery and the grey cover holding the battery in.
    I have updated the Core2 firmware today to v1.10.1 and this hasn’t made any difference.

• Hello @Kombistack

I haven't used the small CORE2 board for some time and when I connected it today my M5Core2 wouldn't start up either. I then removed the board again and only pushed it in slightly - M5Core2 started up ok but as soon as I pushed the board a bit harder M5Core2 stopped working.

I then had a closer look and I think what's happening is that some contacts of the CORE2 board touch the metal housing of either the vibrating motor and / or the metal back plate of the speaker. Isolating both metal parts with some tape helped. Now I can push in the CORE2 board securely and M5Core2 still works.

Thanks
    Felix

• Hi Felix,
    PROBLEM SOLVED!
    You are right. When I removed the CORE2 cover and replaced it with only slight pressure the controller boots up.
    SO the trick is not to push too hard and push the cover too far in, or as you say isolate the metal parts with tape.
    Thank you for problem solving this for me and probably for others who have the same issue.
    Cheers

• What really caused the issue!
    Further to my last post I have found that the real issue whereby my Core2 cover caused the Core2 to shut down when the cover was pushed back in place was due to damage to the Core2 cover.
    0_1660010928209_4F35B51A-8473-44D9-BE4C-C3E4492802A1.jpeg
    I obviously had damaged some of the components of the accelerometer when I removed the Core2 cover with a screwdriver!
    I hope I can purchase just a replacement cover.
    Something to be aware of when removing the Core2 cover.

• Hello @Kombistack

from what I can tell the damage isn't that severe. According to the schematic those two components are capacitors. I don't think they are critical for the overall functionality of the M5Core2, they might have an influence on the performance of the IMU though.

That said, you should be able to resolder those with a small soldering iron. Or find someone who can fix it for you.

I don't know if this board can be purchased separately as spare part. Have you checked with M5Stack support?

Thanks
    Felix