M5StickC/ATOM on MacOS Catalina can't upload/ ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header solution (Solved)

• upload time out error log

esptool.py v2.8-dev
    Serial port /dev/cu.usbserial-xxxxxxx
    Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32: Timed out waiting for packet header

Solution1: When programming, short the G0 to GND using the DuPont line. (For M5StickC)

Solution2:Click here to download the serial chip firmware update tool (MacOS version only) , enter

This is only for update M5StickC or M5Atom Series USB Controller's Firmware , using it for any other purpose may cause damage to your devices.
    When you are using this software, make sure you have a reliable connection to your device. Any disruption during the process will cause the device not functioning.

NO WARRANTIES:
    To the extent permitted by applicable law, neither wsdot,nor any person, either expressly or implicitly, warrants any aspect ofthis software or program, including any output or results of this softwareor program. Unless agreed to in writing. This software and program is being provided "as is", without any warranty of any type or nature,either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose,and any warranty that this software or program is free from defects.

chmod +x Updater_FW20200422

in the terminal in the save directory, and modify the executable permissions. Then connect the M5StickC device to the computer, double-click to open the tool, follow the operation prompts, press the Enter key to run, and wait for the burning to complete.

替代文字

替代文字

• The solution 2 working perfectly! Not need more a short-circuit between GND+GPIO0.

Not only that, after upload a new sketch the M5Stick-C reset (to start the new sketch) automatically (as their normal operation).

Thank you.

OBS: I'm using MacOS Catalina (10.15.2), via USB-C -> Adapter USB-C to USB 3.0 -> M5-Stick-C USB to USB-C Cable. It is running perfectly.

• @nsfilho awesome.

• @m5stack Here are the same:

1. I'm using MacOS Catalina (10.15.2), via USB-C -> Adapter USB-C to USB 3.0 -> M5-Stick-C USB to USB-C
    2. If I use the correct dev it worked. There are two device-driver for one M5StickC:
    • cu.usbserial-00001014 ttyvf
    • cu.usbserial-6D522008B6 ttyw0

The first device-driver worked!

• @m5stack Sorry ... Extremely new with a M5StickC. Having issues trying to connect M5StickC to UIFlow.
    I think this is the issue I am having , since I have MacOS (Catalina), downloaded Solution2 file, not familiar with terminal commands. I can't make this file to run... help

File - Get Info
    -Sharing & Permissions

• Everyone / Read and write

Open terminal
    -cd ~/Downloads
    -chmod + x ch552Updater_FW20200102_BTV231
    -chmod: x: No such file or directory
    -chmod: ch552Updater_FW20200102_BTV231: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

• @redes-io said in M5StickC and ATOM on MacOS platform can't upload programs solustion:

@m5stack Sorry ... Extremely new with a M5StickC. Having issues trying to connect M5StickC to UIFlow.
    I think this is the issue I am having , since I have MacOS (Catalina), downloaded Solution2 file, not familiar with terminal commands. I can't make this file to run... help

File - Get Info
    -Sharing & Permissions

• Everyone / Read and write

Open terminal
    -cd ~/Downloads
    -chmod + x ch552Updater_FW20200102_BTV231
    -chmod: x: No such file or directory
    -chmod: ch552Updater_FW20200102_BTV231: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong?

The instructions are incorrect. There should not be a space in between +x.

cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x ch552Updater_FW20200114_A2_BTV231.dms 

Then follow the instructions as written above.

• @world101 Thank you for the info.

I did how you instructed and it just doesn't do any thing. The terminal just doesn't do anything the file doesn't open anything.

Thanks.

• @redes-io

All I did was show you how to change the executable permissions of the file. That was your issue. You still need to follow the rest of the instructions they provided....

“Then connect the M5StickC device to the computer, double-click to open the tool, follow the operation prompts, press the Enter key to run, and wait for the burning to complete.”

• @world101 Very much appreciated, thank you for the reply!

• @world101 Remember to remove the .dms file extension, which is wrongly added by Safari/MacOS. Then you should be able to execute the file by right-clicking and choosing "open in Terminal", then follow instructions.

• Just want to confirm this solution as working for M5Stick-C and M5Atom... I'm on latest macOS 10.15.3 (19D76).

• @sergey-maysak Theoretically this solution applicable , and we already has test , you could try it.

• @world101 said in M5StickC and ATOM on MacOS platform can't upload programs solustion:

chmod +x ch552Updater_FW20200114_A2_BTV231.dms

==================== M5 Serial Converter Firmware Updater ====================

FW Version: FW20200114_A2

This is only for update M5StickC or M5Atom Series USB Controller's Firmware 

, using it for any other purpose may cause damage to your devices.

When you are using this software, make sure you have a reliable connection 

to your device. Any disruption during the process will cause the device
    not functioning.

NO WARRANTIES

To the extent permitted by applicable law, neither wsdot,
    nor any person, either expressly or implicitly, warrants any aspect of
    this software or program, including any output or results of this software
    or program. Unless agreed to in writing. This software and program is
    being provided "as is", without any warranty of any type or nature,
    either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied
    warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose,
    and any warranty that this software or program is free from defects.

Press enter to continue . . .

Detecting M5Stack products.
    Find M5Stack products.
    Kernel driver deteched.
    Apply magic success.

Fail to cast magic stage 2, please contact vendor.
    Waiting for device in DFU mode.....................logout
    Saving session...
    ...copying shared history...
    ...saving history...truncating history files...
    ...completed.
    Deleting expired sessions...153 completed.

[Process completed]

not working to me M5Atom LITE on osx 10.12.5

• where is the G0 on M5Atom LITE??

• @cepics Why do you want to upgrade ... 10.12 can support the ATOM. This upgrade tool is for those systems that don't recognize the port such as MacOS Catalina

• I have problems to upload code on M5StickC and M5Atom LITE.....
    no serial port available in tools/port menu..

I have also burn with easyloader (on a win machine) to reset the modules

osx 10.12.5
    arduino IDE 1.8.9

• @cepics you could try setup the baud to 115200. then try again. or contact our store. we will help you solve it. as soon as possible

• @m5stack

I'm on macos 10.15.3 and I'm asking myself too, where is G0 on the M5Atom Matrix? Although I was able to apply the described firmware, I'm not able to connect via UIFlow IDE nor Arduino IDE (1.8.9).

By the way: almost no image gets displayed on Safari from the documentation — neither iPad nor mac.

• @herrlehmann M5Atom Matrix have not provided G0 Pin to outside. so the solustion 1 is for m5stickC. and could you use windows os test it again? maybe is the driver software problem .

• @m5stack said in M5StickC and ATOM on MacOS Catalina can't upload programs solustion:

@cepics you could try setup the baud to 115200. then try again. or contact our store. we will help you solve it. as soon as possible

no way!!! Atom serial port doesn't appear in the serial port list..... more than one cable tested....