Issue with esp32 board lib v1.0.5

• Hello,
    I would like to report an issue with M5Stack Core GRAY/BASIC.
    If you have installed esp32 board lib v1.0.5 and run code like above, you will find that the statement Serial.begin() has a conflict with the statement M5.begin(). You will never get into the loop.
    With esp32 1.0.4 and lower it is ok.
    The strange thing is that when i remove Serial.begin() it works and still prints with 115200 baud.
    I do not know wether the issue is in the lib esp32 or m5stack.
    Regards Patrick

Here is an example:
    /******************************************************************************/
    #include <M5Stack.h>

int i = 0;

void setup(void) {
    Serial.begin(115200); // comment this line if esp32 lib 1.0.5 is installed!

M5.begin();
    M5.Power.begin();
    M5.Lcd.setCursor(10, 20, 4);
    M5.Lcd.setTextColor(TFT_YELLOW);
    M5.Lcd.setTextSize(1);
    M5.Lcd.print("Hello World!");
    delay(2000);
    M5.Lcd.clear(TFT_BLACK);
    }

void loop() {
    M5.Lcd.setCursor(10, 20, 4);
    M5.Lcd.fillRect(10, 20, 100, 19, TFT_BLACK);
    M5.Lcd.println(i);

Serial.println(i);
    i++;
    delay(1000);
    }
    /******************************************************************************/

• Hello @Pat

if you look into M5.begin() you'll see that there already is a Serial.begin() call.

if (SerialEnable == true) {
        Serial.begin(115200);
        Serial.flush();
        delay(50);
        Serial.print("M5Stack initializing...");
      }

In my experience calling Serial.begin() twice is a bad idea and can lead to very strange errors.
    Thanks
    Felix

• Thank you Felix for the quick answer. I confess did not looked in the M5 source. So its more a feature than a bug.
    My problem was, that i am communicating with other hardware where i can not easily change the baudrate to 115200. Must touch the M5Stack lib for that.
    A property for baudrate value would be nice.
    Still do not understand why the problem was only since the esp32 release to 1.0.5 and not earlier.
    Regards Patrick

• Hello @Pat

you are welcome.

BTW: you do not necessarily need to touch the M5Stack lib - M5.begin() actually has parameters, one of them is SerialEnable, if you set this to false you can setup Serial in your code anyway you like.

Thanks
    Felix