RGB LED Matrix (external) Suggestions

• Hello, I'm new to this type of development and I'm trying to figure out how I can drive an RGB LED Matrix panel like this with the Atom. The built-in matrix is far too small for my purpose although it will also be used for another purpose. I'm unsure of what hats or modules would be needed or if it's even possible. I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction, I can figure out the rest but more information is appreciated. The matrix hardware itself I'm not too concerned with as long as I can get at least 32 x 64 however 32 x 128 would be even better. The output will be simple graphics and text as a crawl to indicate what will be playing next.

• Hello @modemmike

I don’t have any experience with RGB matrix displays, but from below links I think the M5Atom does not have enough GPIOs exposed to drive an RGB matrix display:
    link1 link2

Thanks
    Felix

• Thank you felume, I had the same suspicion but thought I'd ask the community, I suppose I will need some sort of controller as well.

• I'm not very good at serial stuff or SPI but there may be some way to use

GPIO pins
    PCB with 6 pin in
    Library

I wouldn't know exactly how to line up the GPIO pins with the serial input but I guess a clue is alt text

I don't care how I get to the end product, I just want to be able to control the matrix with an ATOM.