Does LoRaWAN not work as specified?

• Hi

I got two LoRaWan868 for node to node communication. In my efforts to find some example code for this, I find a lot of posts here mentioning the module will not work for node to node communication. Is this correct, that it doesn't?

Because the specification is really clear that it does. Even the first sentence in the first paragraph in the M5-store states that it does?

So, will it work, or should I stop wasting my time?

If it works, is there any example code for node to node communication anyone could point me at?

Thanks!

Link to shop with description saying it supports node to node communication.

https://shop.m5stack.com/products/com-lorawan-module-868mhz-asr6501?variant=35580975186084

• Hello @Thomasx

have you tried the Arduino example, which is also linked at the bottom here?

Thanks
    Felix

• @felmue

Thanks!

I am trying to compile these, and they compile fine for Core, but I have a Core2, and then they don't compile, not even when M5Core2.h is included, with or without M5Stack.h

Any advice on how to get them to compile for Core2?

• Finally I got the code to compile and download to the M5 without hanging it.

But transmission does not work, and after some debugging I found out that anything that is sent to the LoRa-module, is responded with "+ERROR: Command does not exist".

So at least the LoRa module is alive and communication with it is working. But the LoRa-library attached to this example seems not to match the M5 LoRaWAN module.

• Hello @Thomasx

just to clarify. Do you have the LoraWAN868 module (blue) or the COM.LoraWAN module (black)?

I am asking because the link in your first post suggests COM.LoraWAN, but in your other thread asking about compiling for M5Core2 the code you posted is for the LoraWAN868 module.

The Arduino example code I linked above is for the COM.LoraWAN module and that would not work on the LoraWAN868 module and as such it would make sense that it would respond with errors.

Thanks
    Felix

P.S. the forum posts you found about LoRa point-to-point not being available / working is only true for the LoraWAN units. I know it is confusing.

• I thought I had LoRaWan868 but it seems I have LoRaWan (as they are black)

The blue ones I think are called just LoRa868, this one-
    https://shop.m5stack.com/products/lora-module-868mhz?variant=31093175910490

I see there is also a module called LoRaWan868 but that has a different formfactor, not stackable.

It said clearly in the spec sheet for the module I have, I have double checked, that it should work with P2P.

THe module I linked in the OP is the one I have. It is named I think LoRaWAN, and it supports the 868 MHz band.

• Hello @Thomasx

sorry, I meant this blue one - which is stackable (it's also EOL though).

But if yours is black then guess you have the COMX LoraWAN.

Thanks
    Felix