does modules work directly with arduino boards

• Hello,

A student of mine bought the Servo 2 Module thinking that it could work directly with the Arduino Uno board. I helped him identify the 5V and I2C pins, but to the best of my knowledge I2C requires a sketch to be present on the module and I wasn't able to identify which pins to use to flash the sketch. Is it possible?

Thank you,

• Hello @vanoak

just to clarify - do you mean this module?

If yes, this module uses the PCA9685 which as far as I can tell doesn't allow to download any firmware. So no, you don't need to download anything into the module - it can be used out of the box. The sketch goes into the M5Stack device or in your case into the Arduino Uno.

One important thing you need to consider though is that the PCA9685 in the Servo2 module is an 3.3 V device whereas the Arduino Uno is a 5 V device. This means you should be using some level shifter for the I2C lines (SCL and SDA) else you risk to destroy the PCA9685.

The other question is - how many servos do you need? If only a few the Arduino Uno can do that w/o using the Servo2 module. See here.

Thanks
    Felix

• Hi @felmue,

Yes, I mean that module.

I will look into the documentation you provided, thank you.

Regarding the number of servos I mandated the student - i teach art students - to scale down from his initial proposal of 24 servos, because of the logistics implied. He came to the class, proposing 13 servos with this module arguing that it should work, so here we are, trying to make it work.

Thank you for your time.