M5 Core turns off after a few minutes using Base AAA Battery Holder

• My M5 Core turns off after a few minutes using Base AAA Battery Holder. I have to press the power button to turn it on again. Is there some sort of power management taking place behind the scenes? Has anyone experienced this issue?

• Hello @wwhite

• which M5Stack device are you using? M5Stack Base, Fire, Go or M5Core2?
    • when the M5Stack device turns off, does the RED LED of the Base AAA Battery Holder go out as well?
    • what program is running on your M5Stack device?
    • does the M5Stack device turn off as well when it is powered from USB instead of from the Base AAA Battery Holder?

I don't have the Base AAA Battery Holder, but judging from the schematic I don't see anything which would auto turn off the power after a while. The DC/DC converter MP1470 used only has over current protection and thermal shutdown functionality.

Thanks
    Felix

• Thanks for responding Felix,

I'm using a M5Stack.
    The red light on the AAA battery holder stays lit when the app stops.
    My program calls an api on the internet and displays 8 lines of text.
    The app will run nonstop when using USB power and perform as intended.

WW

• Hello @wwhite

hmm, I tried a simulation with an external power supply, set to 4 V and feeding into the BAT connection of an M5Stack running UIFlow firmware and it did not turn off or stop.

Have you tried to burn a different program onto your M5Stack to see if that makes a difference?

And, are the batteries fresh?

Thanks
    Felix

• Hello @wwhite

Please show me a picture with the battery attached.

• @wwhite said in M5 Core turns off after a few minutes using Base AAA Battery Holder:

anyone

I am experiencing the same issue. The m5stack core powers itself off after some time when running in the APP mode. I am on v1.9.8. (shown on the LCD screen when I am on the setup screen)

• Hello guys

batteries fresh?

Thanks
    Felix

• Hello guys

the M5Stack incorporates the IP5306 as power management chip which has an auto shutdown feature (under light load) when running from battery.

The default light load shutdown time is set to 32 seconds. (Other options are 8, 16 and 64 seconds.) Unfortunately I do not see a register or bit in the IP5306 which would allow to turn off that feature. Also what amperage counts as light load I do not know.

In my simulation my M5Stack was turned off by that feature by putting the ESP32 into light sleep for about a minute. (In light sleep the current was about 28 mA.)

BTW: only turning off the screen backlight did not trigger the auto shutdown as the remaining current (about 68 mA) was still high enough I guess.

If indeed the shutdown feature under light load is what turns your M5Stack off, then I guess it is dependent on the program you are running on your M5Stack and how much power it consumes at a given time.

Thanks
    Felix