Linux Uiflow keeps flipping the com port btwn tty04 and ttySB0

• Hi All, Can anyone help me out with the stated problem? I can't do (learn) anything. I also have problem with Thonny with this com port issue. I have user to the dialout group. Thanks.

• Normally this is caused by a similar device laying claim to the port first or Linux failing to release the port.

• Thanks much for the info, how can I proceed to resolve this issue? I just reinstalled mint linux and installed ftdi stuff. That's all I am able to do with Linux. I am able to burn the stickc plus. while waiting for the uiflow desktop to complete download, I tried Thonny and got 'device is busy', my window system is waiting for its battery and it won't arrive til sometimes in january. i hope, someone can give me a specific howto resovle this problem so i can start learning.

• @dididada You can't really solve it if multiple devices connect to the computer.

• This old ThinkPad T430, has a optical drive and nothing else connecting to it except the StickPlus, with Stack firmware on it. I have not encounter problem with burning firmware v1.11.0, and it always default to COM ttyUSB0--only option. I select USB connection with UIflow but it got disconnected less than minute later. So, the firmware is able to keep ttyUSB0 in service but not UIflow nor Thonny. With Thonny I got 'device busy', with UIflow, it shows 'disconnected'; It always flips to ttyS4 or blank after I set it back to ttyUSB0. Of course, I run Thonny and UIflow seperately. Looks like I will have to wait for my Window system in January. I'd to thank you for taking time to shade some light in this.

• @dididada said in Linux Uiflow keeps flipping the com port btwn tty04 and ttySB0:

This old ThinkPad T430, has a optical drive and nothing else connecting to it except the StickPlus, with Stack firmware on it. I have not encounter problem with burning firmware v1.11.0, and it always default to COM ttyUSB0--only option. I select USB connection with UIflow but it got disconnected less than minute later. So, the firmware is able to keep ttyUSB0 in service but not UIflow nor Thonny. With Thonny I got 'device busy', with UIflow, it shows 'disconnected'; It always flips to ttyS4 or blank after I set it back to ttyUSB0. Of course, I run Thonny and UIflow seperately. Looks like I will have to wait for my Window system in January. I'd to thank you for taking time to shade some light in this.

OK this tells me that ttyUSB0 is being held open by the OS.
    You can not run Thonny and UIFlow at the same time as they will both be trying to access the port. Use one or the other and make sure there is nothing else in the OS trying to access ttyUSB0

• I only ran one at a time--Thonny or UIflow. I notice that whenever I start UIflow, it would flash 'connect to M5' , I just assume that it meant M5stack related things. But, I always selected ttyUSB0 to start the session, less than a minute after it lauch, it displayed 'disconnected' at the bottom of the screen. My kids told me they would get me a new Thinkpad tomorrow, I hope it will work with Windows os. Thanks for your help, I shall post my experience trying to get UIflow to work with the new Thinkpad tomorrow.

• @dididada May sound like a stupid question but......
    Have you tried different USB cables?
    Are you connecting through a hub?

• Yes, two different cables with the same confusing result. Here is my observation of the Burner and IDE; Burner default to ttyUSB0, where as IDE ttyS4. I always select ttyUSB0 upon launching IDE and the result is the same, it will flip to ttyS4 in less than a minute. Do you think I will experience the same problem with Arduino? I will test on the new Laptop my kids brought me later and let you know the result--I hope it going to be better result than Linux. Thanks.

• @ajb2k3

Ok, got a new laptop, burn with stickc plus firmware, default COM5 then launched Uiflow with default COM5; got 'disconnected' msg down the bottom left though it showed COM5 in the setting menu off the top right. This happens with Factory Default burning as well. So, on to the third burning, I erased what was there, download the firmware, setup the configuration to UBS START MODE, COM5 is only port available, same error msg 'disconnected' bottom left; this is an erroneous msg because the setting on the top right shows COM5 still sitting there; all error codes are 'Upload Codes Failed...'; so, I refresh the COM port; when connecting it always show Connecting M5, what is this M5 refers to? Well, I give up on try to learn anything the easy way with UIflow and will move on to take a more difficult approach with Arduino. Mean while, I only hope that someone will find what I did wrong to encounter this problem on both Linux and Windows. All the firmware were downloaded from M5stack, the IDE from Github. There isn't anything else running to contend for the COM port; device driver got installed per download package. Of the two drivers on Windows, only the 210xVCP.windows got installed, the other one got msg that it was successfully installed in advance, I assumed all is well pertaining to that driver. Also, I read on the M5stack.com, that is alright to install both drivers. Before this, I installed Arduino but it isn't running at the moment nor the time that I went through Uiflow procedures.

• I have both drivers installed on MAC and its fine.
    One other thing to try is to plug everything in and wait for the computer to settle down.
    After about 5 minuets try tapping the the USB lead that is plugged into the device. I'm actually getting random disconnects now at the USB connection.
    Wait you are using UIFlow downloaded from GitHub and not the online version in chrome?
    The offline version is way out of date and buggy.
    An update to the online version will not be available until uiflow V2 is available and live.

• Ok, I am following with my post regarding the connection. First, I'd like to thank user 'ajb2k3' for trying to help. This is mainly user error, I saw the 'CONNECTING TO M5' flashing and the message just disappear' assuming that all was well and jump in to the mess. I wonder, what will it cost the system to have the 'CONNECTING TO M5' just hang in the loop, or issue a new message informing the users that he/she has not made a successful connection. I attribute it mainly to my carelessness. ASS U ME , always hurts.