I just acquired one of these nifty units (AliExpress) however I've run into an issue I don't seem to be able to resolve. I tried emailing support but have not heard back so I joined and figured perhaps the community can help me.
I have the M5StickC (blue 5V sticker on the base where the pins are; I don't know which version this is) and the 18650C HAT (v1.3 is shown in the battery compartment) and while I had to charge up my M5StickC (Error 22) I was able to flash OpenMQTTGateway on it without issue and it works perfectly fine.
My issue is when I connect the M5StickC to the 18650C HAT (and put 2 machine screws into the base to hold it in place) and put a battery in (I have lots of 18650C batteries) two things happen:
- The M5StickC starts to get REALLY warm, I mean noticeably warm and you can smell "burning electronics" -- sort of a coppery smell.
- The screen on the M5StickC starts to show this black "creeping" circle that slowly starts expanding across the LCD display
Of course I don't let this sit this way and disconnect everything. When I connect the M5StickC with the supplied USB-C cable from my laptop, everything works fine. No heat, no creeping black on the LCD.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. I'm beginning to believe that either I have mismatched units or there's a defect but since I just got this, I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting. Am I running old firmware on the M5StickC perhaps? I really don't know where to begin.
Can anyone provide any advice?
EDIT: I did some more testing and came to the following conclusions:
- Any 18650C battery including the blue one it's shipped with produces same results
- Leaving the battery out and connecting through the base USB-C port, the unit powers up and works as expected.
- I tested with and without the machine screws installed, made no difference in results (I read a post here where someone said the screws interfered with the M5 button)
Pictures I took: