Getting Started

• I have no prior knowledge of
    Programming with the m5stack or other microcontrollers.

The first thing I want to do code up is :

1. Doing a http request
    2. serialize JSON
      2.1 loop through list
    3. output list on screen

Any guidence on how I should aproach this ?
    Im start at 0 .. so I dont know what libraries to use ... where to look etc...

For the stuff I mentioned I think its better to start with learning som C programming instead of looking at UI flow ?

Also if I burn uiflow to the device .. can I still upload code and run it via the arduino ide ?

Thanks

• If you have zero experience in programming microcontrollers, I would recommend uiFlow. Block programming is good for beginners. Drag-and-drop blocks to make a program is much easier than learning C syntax. Plus with uiFlow you can switch to the Python tab to understand that syntax. With more complicated projects I do recommend the Arduino IDE and C programming, but achieving your requirements should be very doable (and fast) with uiFlow.

• @medy said in Getting Started:

Also if I burn uiflow to the device .. can I still upload code and run it via the arduino ide ?

Thanks

No, you cannot use both together. However, to get back to uiFlow after Arduino, you would need to use the m5burner to flash the uiFlow firmware to the device. It’s one or the other but you can switch between them.

• Okay thx ... I started with uiflow since I know some python ... and got my script running...

Though it feels kinda buggy atm .. since you cant seem to save custom code (you cant mix custom code and blocks...) ... but you can still run it ... and send it to the device .... so I had to save my code in a seperate text file ....

idk whats going on there .... maybe this is still really in beta stage ?...

Also I couldnt seem to find how to set fontssize in micropython ... onyl some preset sizes ?

To me feels like there are some major disadvantages ... but I guess it was good for getting started ....

also the initial documentaion for uiflow is outdated ().

There was no mention that I had to switch back and forth from usb mode to internet mode and app mode.....

• Have a look through the documents here https://github.com/Ajb2k3/UIFlowHandbook

they are work in progress but should help.

• @ajb2k3 I solved the not saving issue by googling and finding out about the execute block.

https://forum.m5stack.com/topic/1702/uiflow-does-not-save-python-code/4

That solves the saving custom code issue.. so thats cool.
    Im not a total beginner so naturally I wrote some custom code... and didnt follow any guides or handbooks much.... basicly came in winging it

anyway this is good enough for starters.
    Also having a user interface is really nice.

Thanks for the help

ps the handbook is also out o date and doesnt mention that you have to switch from app mode to usb or internet mode. during the intial setup and pairing for uiflow (the interface on the device is totally different on the latest version)

Hope you can use this feedback ;)

• @medy

Yeah, if using uiFlow, the execute block is your friend for custom code.

I wish uiFlow was smart enough so that when you are on the Blockly tab and choose Save, it saves the .m5f file (block code), but when you are on the Python tab and choose Save, it saves the .py file (python code).... but it's not :-(

• @medy said in Getting Started:

@ajb2k3 I solved the not saving issue by googling and finding out about the execute block.

https://forum.m5stack.com/topic/1702/uiflow-does-not-save-python-code/4

That solves the saving custom code issue.. so thats cool.
    Im not a total beginner so naturally I wrote some custom code... and didnt follow any guides or handbooks much.... basicly came in winging it

anyway this is good enough for starters.
    Also having a user interface is really nice.

Thanks for the help

ps the handbook is also out o date and doesnt mention that you have to switch from app mode to usb or internet mode. during the intial setup and pairing for uiflow (the interface on the device is totally different on the latest version)

Hope you can use this feedback ;)

Opps, sorry, thanks I will update the Handbook soon but have been busy.
    I have several projects for M5Stack that I'm working on and only just got to start logging the execute block.