Don't know what to use

• @macsbug hi,
    Thank you but I want to make it by myself rather than buying a plug&play product.
    Regards

• @ajb2k3 hello,
    At the moment I have a h-driver for Atom
    I was able to control the 12v DC motor by using this module; but I think I will not be able to use the Atom for communication between the scales kit+RFID emitter (because I only have 1x grove port on it)

I also have a M5 core and a DC motor module; but don't know how to wire the DC motor on it

I'm still learning so I don't know if these information are sufficient. If not; I will be happy to provide more details about my setup and the hardware I have got. Feel free to ask.

Thank you very much for your help šŸ™‚
    Best regards

• Hi guys,
    Somebody able to help on this? šŸ™‚

• Sorry forgot about this.
    You should be able you use the Scales and the RFID units on the same port of the atom if you connected a PaHub between them as they both use I2C to communicate and the PaHub is an I2C port expander.
    Have you tried testing with the RFID or the scales kit connected ?

• @ajb2k3 hello,
    That's a good news if I could use only the Atom rather than a M5 core; because I don't need any display and I prefer to keep things minimalist šŸ™‚

I unfortunately did a mistake about my available hardware: I don't own a Pahub but a 1 to 3 HUB Expansion Unit
    I think it won't work.
    I will order a Pahub and post any progress here.
    Thank you for your great help !

As I'm going to order things at M5stack, I also would like to order the required parts for controlling a 12v DC motor with a M5 Core

What kind of module/extension should I choose for this ? GoPlus2 maybe?

Thank you for your feedback

Best regards

• You said you are controlling a motor with the ATOM already, what motor and atom are you using. Please share photos of your setup so far.

• @ajb2k3 here is a photo of my setup with:

• Atom + h-driver
    • 12v DC motor
    • 12v power supply

link text

What kind of module/extension should I choose for this ? GoPlus2 maybe? --> this question was for another future protect with a 12v DC motor I want to control with a M5 Core. This is just for information and is not related to the subject of this topic šŸ˜‰

Best regards

• If its working as is then all you need is the Pahub to connect your two sensors and then program it all up.

• Hi @ajb2k3 thank you for your feedback.
    I will order a Pahub and report any progress here.
    Best regards

• One last question please

I will need to get the level of food available inside the food tank
    For this, I plan to use a Ultrasonic Distance Unit I2C (RCWL-9620)
    I already have it

Is it the correct way to achieve this ? (There are a lot of sensors for liquid level; bit not sure about what to use for solid things)

The Ultrasonic Distance Unit I2C (RCWL-9620) is communicating with I2C. Does it mean I can connect it with everything by using the Pahub I'm about to order ?

Thank you very much for your feedback
    Best regards

• @jerome83136 you work great!

• @ajb2k3 if it means this setup will work, then I'm happy šŸ™‚

• Unless you need to control the speed and direction, you can control a non-stepper motor with just a transistor and diode, for one speed, on-off type operation.

Also bear in mind that the range of the RFID 2 Unit (WS1850S) is only about 20mm. The UHF RFID Unit (JRD-4035) had a longer range, but is expensive. There may be longer range 13.56 Mhz sensors available from other vendors.

• hi @wsanders
    If I can drive the motor with tha Atom and H-driver; that's fine for me.
    I plan to extend it with a PaHub in order to get additional grove ports and connect the Scales kit + RFID2 reader.
    But I wonder if it will work because I'm not sure M5 Scales kit is using I2C

I choosed the RFID2 reader because of its price (as you said: the UHF reader is quite expensive)

I see 2 options to solve the range issue:

• Using 3 RFID2 readers on each side of my object (see red arrows on enclosed picture)
    • Try to extend the RFID2 range with a custom antenna with magnetic wire, around the food dispenser
    • Use this cheap 125KHz RFID reader and make a custom antenna with magnetic wire, around the food dispenser. But can I make it talk to M5 stuff ? (it uses a grove connection and output format is Uart and Wiegand)

Do you think it could work ?

Best regards

• The RFID Unit is a I2C device. The scale unit isn't. Is uses a special protocol (using HX711 library). It will not work with the PbHub. As I mentioned in another community thread, you can get a I2C scale kit from DfRobot : https://wiki.dfrobot.com/HX711_Weight_Sensor_Kit_SKU_KIT0176.
    DfRobot doesn't use the groove standard fot their wiring: VCC and GND are switched as well as the SDA and SCL lines.
    Wish List for M5Stack: Make the scale kit I2C compatible by using the STM8/32 or AVR328 as they are using in the PbHub or 4Relay Unit making the compatible for the "universal" I2C bus.

• Hello all,

Some news here.

I ordered an RFID reader and am still waiting for it to be delivered. So, I will share some news about this part later.

For the 12v DC motor control; I have some troubles.
    I ordered a GoPlus2; but it tidn't feet because even if it has a 12v input; it can't deliver 12v output to my DC motor.

So I switched to another option: using a 5v relay to power the 12v DC motor.

The problem I have is: how to use the M5 Core to control the 5v relay ?

I tried this example but I'm just unable to understand what are the pins used by this guy on the M5 core ?
    The guy uses the pins 2, 27, 32 and 13; but where are these pins on the M5 core basic I own ?
    Do I have to remove the M5 core bottom (received with the M5 core basic) ?

I don't really understad the pin map of the M5 core basic. Is there some reference somewhere for wiring ? And is there a description about the colours used on the M5 core basic product sheet pinmap section ?
    Or some example telling "if you are using digitalWrite(2, 0) on UIFlow; you have to use this specific pin on the core"

Best regards

• The pinouts are located on the M5Stack product page by following the documents link https://docs.m5stack.com/en/core/basic_v2.6?ref=pfpqkvphmgr
    The exact pins and location depend on the specific model of core but he is using the Core2's MBus which is the big internal connector.

• Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

As I'm quite new on this kind of stuff (using pins to interact with an external component); I need some tips :)

When I do this on UIFlow:

0_1678191762463_6e270bbe-7ab0-4684-beca-fb73b770b123-image.png

I understand it activates the pin nĀ°2 (LOW), when the "switch0" is activated. Am I right ?

How can I identify the pin nĀ°2 on my M5 Core basic with a base core bottom ?

I think I need some documentation/tutorial to understand the correspondance between the pins used into UIFlow and the the pinmap on M5 Core Basic. Can I find this somewhere ?

Thank you for your help

Best regards

• Hi,

I finally got the relay working with M5 Core Basic !
    I think my mistake was to power the relay with 5v rather than 3.3v

Here is my wiring:

0_1678303871852_e3effaca-5d50-4aad-8ac3-443c74b7346f-image.png

And here is the example UIFlow that works for me:

0_1678303823556_4a5396f9-008d-4831-9ef2-9a8450709bfe-image.png

Now I need to find a way to power the M5 Core Basic by using a DC 12V --> USB 5V connector and connect it to the DC 12V power supply I already use.

Next step will be the hardest: understanding how PaHub works to interconnect the M5 Core Basic with:

• RFID reader
    • M5 Scales kit
    • M5 Ultrasonic Distance Unit

I will report progress here

Thank you again for your help

Best regards

• Hi all,

Another report here.

Almost everything is ready.
    I'm quite sure the RFID2 reader won't do the job because of its short reading range; let's try and improve if required.
    I will certainly have to give this reader a try. (already ordered)

1 question I had while testing: TOF and RFID2 seems to need Ports A or E. But Port E never worked (the unit is seen as "not connected" by the Core); forcing me to use a PaHub which is a pity because I have plenty of available ports with the ExtPort extension.
    Someone able to help me understanding why ? (If I could use port E; I could completely remove the PaHub)

Here is the current setup:

0_1678322286834_643f4d48-949f-493f-a645-6ab5b9b233e5-image.png

Last thing to do to complete the prototype: get a 12v --> 5V USB connector in order to power the M5 Core + 12v DC motor with a single source.

Here is a simple UIFlow to check every component works correctly:
    0_1678322444056_88f378cd-ffb9-49e4-ae76-58ec1ab68f26-image.png

Best regards