Looking for kind souls to adopt this aged brain and eyes.

• question are:-

What is the different btwn Unit and Hat on the left panel? Clicking the '+' symbol beneath either Unit or Hat gives me the same result of the Hats selections page.

Why is the ENV3 reading is way off, I attached my thermostat and the ENV3 output.

I was bitten badly using the Desktop IDE (had hard time connecting to flow.m5) not conscience of the missing HAT blocks in IDE, I just click on the '+' symbol under Unit on the left panel, picked ENV3 , went from there and got 'env3 unit maybe not connect' running the example blocks.0_1672849065031_Screenshot from 2023-01-04 10-51-09.png 0_1672849108785_Screenshot from 2023-01-04 10-51-09.png 0_1672849133655_Screenshot_20230104-104855.png 0_1672849167463_IMG_20230104_104622501_2.jpg

• First off- grove is the 4 pin connector on the bottom, hat is the 9pin on the top.
    Desktop IDE hasn’t been updated in over a year but a new version will come out with UIFlow.

Env hats pick up heat from the stick. R tree he env sensor module used in side of the ENV III needs calibration and tuning, this is done in factory or retail devices but for DIY projects you have to do it yourself so that it fits your project parameter

• Thanks much, now there is hope. Will you please give me advise , how should I go about tune this thing up, since it is block. I think I will have to do computation base on my thermometer output before sending it on to the screen, right? I programmed fifty years ago but will try to learn this new stuff. I used DOS 1.9 and Dbase III, since then I have played on/off with Linux, just resurrected old discard Window machines for friends and my grandkids. It's just a matter of burning a USB with Linux, boot from it, that's is it. So, at best I can do with Linux is cut/pastes. Well, thanks again. I will post once I get it to work,.

• You need to buy some books on Micropython and read the Micropython docs.
    I have written and published loads of docs which can be accessed and download free from https://github.com/Ajb2k3/UIFlowHandbook
    As to calibration. I have no idea as have not had the time to look.

• You sure have LOAD up there, wow! just those alone will probably take me years to read up, thanks for your advises. I have contacted support@m5 requested that they send me software/firmware to calibrate this Stick.

Personally, I am not up to the the job of calibrating. Casually thinking about the problem, it nearly impossible to calibrate it. If I use my thermostat to calibrate, it's only good for the first time, once. I notice, the env3 is fluctuating between 18f--33f, while the thermostat is set to around 67-68f With that, I don't have a acceptable target number to go by, only a wild constant but that won't do it. I might as well forget about this ENV3.

On micropython, what really confused me is to burn micropython on to the Stick, according to info from micropython.org ,It seems to me that there are two portions of Micronpython, here I am assuming again that is what happen with burning the Stick with the Uiflow. This isn't like anything I learnt years ago. Am I correct to assume that the burnt in portion, is like PC BIOS ?This is fun but way more complicated than just write Dbase II or COBOL. I will keep trying, at least it will keeps dementia at a distant. Just hope that it won't turn into a stroke!! Hey, since I am here how do I save blocks on flow.m5stack.com, click on the save icons either top or bottom left panels give me nothing, click on SaveAs, only option is PNG files. Another one, why do I need serial driver with M5 but not with Arduino, or I am just assuming that Arduino doesn't, or, because I already had the driver installed prior when burning Uiflow, then use Arduino after that. Oh, thank for differentiated the UNIT and HAT. Thanks.

• This post is deleted!

• @dididada Actually there are loads of different flavours of Micropython (a bit like Linux) that are hardware dependent.
    The burn't in version is more like the OS and the bios combined. Have you typed in a nae at the top for your program?
    Some web browsers will download files but it's easy to miss the acknowledgement of the download.
    Have a look in you computers version of the My Downloads folder.
    I have always struggled with programming until M5Stack came about with UIFlow which is built on Micropython. I find UIFlow is great for doing basic work where all the blocks are available but again because its built on micropython I can generate the code in UIFlow using blocks then switch to code view to see how things works. Have ADD and Dyslexia so learning is hard but UIFlow has really helped me and I now have a YouTube channel as well as loads of guides on hackster.io, none of which would exist without M5Stack.
    Thank you @m5stack

• Dyslexia and ADD, sound like my normal. Do I have to install Micropython+Python3, as well as burning it on to the Stick?

I am drawn to this hobby because of many Youtube clips make it looked simple and I don't have any modern day programming experience so I am gravitating toward Uiflow and I was thinking I might learn some things or two about Controller/IoT plus Micropython. I just started reading m5stack.h from Git hub last night and it's looked intimidating and I didn't see any reference to sht30 chip,which I assume it is used in ENV3. Reading this m5stack.h file, how do I see the contents of these files? on Git

#include "utility/ANYFILES.h"

Have thought about learning Arduino along the way but example codes looked very intimidating. Well, if "tempC = sht30.cTemp - 1;
    can calibrate the Stick then I will revisit Arduino. My basic understand of programming is limit to Function call/return. nothing about object, class, header files, include and define. Teastain, will you please point out where I can download example Sketch to calibrate the Stick. I just want to know how it can be done with changing input data without burning the calibrating data directly on to the sht30 chip.

Thanks both of you for coaching.

• I downloaded the ' esp32-20220618-v1.19.1.bin ' and used Thonny to burn it, it wiped the flash before burning but after burning the Stick just wouldn't get up, I turned back to M5burner to get it back up. I don't know how to use esptool to wipe and burn. I seems like I was missing the Micropython or Python itself.

I am assuming  that M5burner is as good or better than burning  ' esp32-20220618-v1.19.1.bin '  on it. By using  ' esp32-20220618-v1.19.1.bin ' did  I miss out on some needed utilitie  that causes the Stick to sleep.

• Ok, after further googling, I think I have to deal with pip, python3 and esptool in order to install Micropython on the Stick and also remeber that the Stick is not part of the laptop computer. Just like you mentioned earlier that the Micropython is part OS and BIOS. Wow! so many things have to go into this. How do I up vote your guys?

• What you did was to install mainstream micropython. this is different from UIFlow's version as it contains only the core micropython without M5Stacks library more akin to installing a fresh copy of windows on a new blank hard drive.

The versions in M5Burner are tailored specific to M5Stack devices and contains the "drivers" needed to run M5Stack.

Does this mean that you can use mainstream Micropython, no.
    As you are still at the beginner stage of learning, you are better off with the M5Burner version. The Mainstream version is for use from within Thonny once you know what you are doing.

To upvote just click on the uparrow next to the number on the right of the message >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    0_1673117776531_Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 18.55.55.png

Micropython has a mode called REPL that you view in Thonnys Terminal which allows you to test code and see the results live.

On the host computer you need to install Python 3 and then copy M5Burner to the applications folder of your os.

• @ajb2k3 I really like the idea of REPL !

MY(!) aging brain is resisting learning a new programming language.

In the (late) 70's I programmed in machine code and felt C was a "high level language".

I will investigate Python, could be fun!

Cheers to all.

• @ajb2k3

Agree with learning to crawl before running. Will just concentrate on REPL. The tutorial has many examples- machine, network etc... but these are not what I like to learn now. I like more basic stuff, like how to get the buzzer to play musical tune if it's possible. I have a PIR HAT, I'd like it to sound musical tune without putting a SPK HAT (can't with PIR on). For now, I will just forget about the ENV3.

• @dididada "...but these are not what I like to learn now. I like more basic stuff, like how to get the buzzer to play musical tune if it's possible..."
    Alas That I can't help you with as I'm tone deaf!

Again, I will recommend you download my docs starting with the UIFlow Handbook and have a good read of them.